Today a few of us rented the Carrie Furnace so we’d have the place to ourselves to get access to photograph this great place. It is the last remaining blast furnace left in the Pittsburgh area from the steel industry that has been gone for a long time. It was originally part of the Homestead Steel Works. It was built in 1884 and closed in 1982. Back in the day, it produced over 1,000 tons of iron per day that was sent across the hot metal bridge to another plant that turned it into steel. This photo is on the backside of the plant looking up at some of the metal structure.